The position of State Tax Analyst is responsible for the preparation and filing of state income tax returns for various legal entities of the company. This position is responsible for assisting with the preparation of quarterly and annual state tax accounting, including compliance with both US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) requirements, as well as maintaining underlying state workpapers.
This is a hybrid position; candidates will be required to go into our headquarters located in downtown Chicago.
- Supports Tax Manager and Tax Senior with preparation, payment, filing and processing of state and local income tax returns and supporting workpapers
- Calculates quarterly and annual estimated state tax liability and ensures prompt and accurate payments
- Supports Tax Manager and Tax Senior in quarterly state provision and tax accounting and managing effective reporting of the ETR including effective review of enacted state legislation
- Works closely with our outside consultant to file Annual Reports, Personal Property Tax returns and pay Real Estate tax for our various campus and office locations
- Maintains the State Tax Calendar and ensures accurate and timely filing of annual reports.
- Supports Tax Manager and Tax Senior with federal and state audits by providing workpapers and responses to information document requests
- Supports Tax Senior in resolution of State notices received with minimal tax implications
- Assist with tax process improvements projects, which may include software implementation, automation, or workpaper improvements
- Participates in special projects as assigned by Tax department leadership
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned
Control Related Responsibilities
- Strives to automate and standardize as many tax processes as possible and looks for ways to improve current systems
- Ensures that Adtalem and its divisions comply with Sarbanes Oxley requirements and state regulations to avoid penalties and fines from regulators
- Ensures compliance with ASC 740 and 10K requirements
- Maintains memberships in tax professional groups to increase knowledge of tax laws and regulations
- Adheres to internal control / compliance policy procedures and has high consciousness / awareness about the Code of Ethics
Critical features of this job are described under Essential Duties and Responsibilities. They may, however, be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor of Science/Business Administration with emphasis in Finance or Accounting
- At least 1 year of relevant work experience (e.g., internships, summer positions, etc.) or strong academic track record (minimum GPA of 3.0)
- CPA exam eligibility within two years of beginning full-time employment
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage assignments in a team environment
- Must have proficient computer skills in Microsoft Excel. Corptax, Longview or other database and tax processing software a plus
- Must have excellent communication and analytical skills and be a proactive self-starter, willing to assist with different assignments among various tax workstreams
- Have the ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Can set priorities and to respond to changing demands from multiple sources
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.