Senior Corporate Counsel, Litigation provides legal advice and counsel regarding architecting and implementing litigation strategy with respect to specific cases; managing, and improving the performance of outside counsel; leadership on a wide range of novel legal and business risks and opportunities; working with witnesses and data repositories to prepare for trial and reporting; working with Adtalem paralegals and line and staff managers within the organization; provide transactional support including contract review reporting to the VP, Sr. Associate General Counsel. S/he will join a team of versatile professionals who work closely together serving the needs of a complex, highly regulated international organization. In addition to handling a diverse and challenging array of legal matters arising from the organization's global operating divisions and/or additional functional departments of the organization, qualified candidates will exhibit exceptional experience, and a practical, solution-driven, business-based approach to problem solving and exceptional interpersonal skills that facilitate prompt, constructive solutions to operational personnel and executives across the organization.
- Hands-on experience leading teams in complex domestic and international business litigation, including trial experience and counseling parties and witnesses in a variety of pre-dispute and dispute resolution contexts
- Ability to manage a large number and variety of mission-critical projects, working independently and often in ambiguous contexts
- Attendance and participation in mediations, arbitrations and trials, as necessary
Preferred (not required)
- Familiarity with Higher Education industries and the legal and regulatory environment in which they operate
- Familiarity with patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret law
- Ability to lead teams, including cross-functional teams, while being a strong partner to other lawyers, business clients, paralegals, and assistants
- Demonstrated proficiency in working closely with and advising senior executives of an organization
- People management experience
- Budget management
- Experience negotiating complex commercial contracts
- Proficient database management and reporting skills
- Provide training
- May provide general legal counsel and guidance to one or more institutions of the organization
- May advise one or more additional functional departments of the organization on the legal implications of their activities.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- J. D. from an accredited law school.
- Must be in good standing with the Illinois State bar.
- 10+ years of substantive law firm and/or in-house legal experience,
with at least five years in-house strongly preferred.
- Experience working in or for Higher Education institutions valued.
- Excellent client management and communication skills; both oral and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a fluid/fast-paced, highly collaborative,
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly assess potential for risk and opportunity.
- Possesses strong work ethic and customer service orientation and ability to prioritize conflicting
demands from multiple business clients
- Experience providing legal support involving domestic and international outside counsel.
- Experience managing, and directing outside counsel supporting, internal investigations.
- Experience interfacing with government and/or labor and employment agencies with jurisdiction over
employment and labor-related legal matters
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management, to manage multiple projects simultaneously,
exercise sound judgment and work independently and efficiently meet deadlines with consistently
high-quality work product in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be a proactive self-starter with strong leadership skills
- Experience as primary or second chair counsel in the litigation of employment and labor-related
cases a plus
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.